3 Ways to Honor Life as a Family
Jan 21, 2021
| By Josh Navey
Each January we are reminded of the stomach-churning statistic that over 600,000 babies are aborted each year in the US. As we mourn that loss of life, we also look to the future. We should be teaching our kids to love, appreciate, and honor human life as God our Father does. Here are three ways you can honor life together as a family in 2021:
- Honor a baby in the womb
- Speak openly about the beauty of God’s design (Psalm 139:14, Jeremiah 1:5). Mommies get to carry their child for 9 months in their belly! Their bodies give the baby everything he/she needs to survive for all that time - it really is amazing! And while it’s uncomfortable and painful at times, parents look to the reward that comes at the end: the presence of their son or daughter!
- Show your kids what a baby looks like in the womb. It’s almost unbelievable to see how much a baby already looks like...a baby...as early as 10 weeks into their development! For example, “Everyone grows inside their mommy’s belly when they are a baby, and this is what you looked like.”
- Honor our special needs community
- Take the initiative to meet and speak with families in our church who have kids with special needs. Lots of amazing kids are thriving with a “buddy” (Summit Kids leader) within our typical classrooms, and many others are succeeding in our GRACE classrooms. In either scenario, having friends with special needs teaches all kids without those same challenges to appreciate life in all its diversity and beauty.
- Every person has been created in the image of God and can teach us new and important things about Him! (Genesis 1:27)
- Serve your local pregnancy center
- Cleaning the facility, placing sticky notes in Bibles, and helping put together care packages are all common ways any family could help serve their local pregnancy center or other ThriveRDU organizations.
- Walk for Life/Baby Bottle Drives are huge fundraising events for non-profit pregnancy centers that exist on donations, and they can be a fun way to get your kids involved with something bigger than themselves!
I pray that our church would be a community of people that honors human life in the same way our Father in heaven honors it. Every life is a blessing, every child a gift, and I hope these ideas help you continue to cultivate a home that honors life!